Saturday, February 20, 2010

a season for waiting.

One could either be miserable during those seasons of waiting or cherish them. This life of ours, if we really think about it, is more waiting than anything else. One waits to get a driver’s license, to graduate, to get married, to have a profession, a house, a baby and some more- possibly depending on how the first one turned out. Then what? Grandchildren? I feel strange asking, but I wonder if some wait for death? I really hope not. Nevertheless, the point of my blog today is to encourage others to stop living for the next thing and cling to the sweet moments of today. Soak them in, beloved!
I have been in Africa for a little over a month now, and time here, just like the States, unfortunately flies by. Although the journey from the very beginning has rapidly gone by, this journey has been one of waiting. Waiting for the application to be processed. Waiting for that yes or no. Waiting to somehow raise the money to get here. Waiting to get to South Africa. Waiting to get to Uganda. Waiting to get to Arua, Uganda. I have been here for 3 weeks now… my final destination, but the waiting continues. Students are finally settling into schools, so the waiting is coming to an end. On Monday it is going down, and I cannot wait. But I can truly say I have treasured this season of waiting. Ephesians 3:20 promises us “now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us.” Even though externally there has not been too much going on in Africa (yet); within me God has been at work. BIG TIME. I have had more sweet times with him than what I could ask or imagine. I have learned more about him than what I could ask or imagine. I have learned more about myself than what I could ask or imagine.
Let’s be real, who likes to wait?
Patience is an issue-for sure, but I have had some help along the way. Before leaving, I heard so much godly advice from the church on waiting. Coincidence? I think not. And since I have been here, there have been simple, fresh reminders of why I am here. A baby boy sitting on my lap through an entire church service; my heart could NOT have felt another ounce of joy or love otherwise I am convinced it would have burst. Today I met a new friend (she doesn’t know we are friends yet, but we will be); she grabbed my hand and squeezed because we were having so much fun laughing about silly things together!

Ah, thankful for the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment