Tuesday, April 20, 2010

picture perfect.

Okay, so mad props to the bloggers out there!

I am not very good at this. I find it super hard... you first have to think about what to write, then how to make it entertaining (of course... so that someone will actually bother to read it), plus I was never a huge fan of grammar! A blog can't be too long or people will get lazy. Pictures are a plus, i know, but internet here is way too slow to upload "snaps" (that’s how we call them here)! When I have high speed internet, I'll upload a bunch! Promise.

Friends keep asking for my day to day life experiences, but there's no such thing. I kind of like it too! Every day is different for me... besides the whole rolling out of bed part. So today, I think I want to share what I get to see when I step out of my barb-wired home. I want to take snaps of every little thing so you can see what I see! One of my house mates shared an article with me that described Arua, Uganda too perfectly! So I'll share some of the things said in the article.

Try your best to imagine this

"At lunchtime, when the arid equatorial heat of the day is at its worst, the town still buzzes with activity. The muezzin’s call to prayer mingles with the rumbles of big trucks, boda boda (motorcycle taxi thingys) horns, bike bells, and music from a local church. Over everything is the sound of the laughter of the school children as they hurry home for lunch. Some of the streets are paved, most are not; but all are packed with bicycles which are used to transport people and goods alike. Sometimes the carefully balanced giant load of matoke (bananas) or case of jangling soda bottles completely obscures the bicycle beneath it from view. Women in colorful ankle length skirts, meanwhile balance impossible loads on their heads and babies strapped to their backs. These women are known to carry 40-litre basins of water several kilometers from the pump to home. With all this movement, everything in Arua is covered with a fine dust. "

LOVE this place!

No comments:

Post a Comment